We object to this proposal for a number of reasons:
- The site is outside the settlement boundary of the town of Minchinhampton. Building is an unwanted intrusion into the countryside and would result in a loss of greenfield space.
- Land on the site is classified as Good grazing and carries commoners' rights for the grazing of up to 14 cattle on the Commons. Its loss would further jeopardise the viability of Minchinhampton and Rodborough Commons.
- The site is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Exceptional reasons are needed to permit development. There are no exceptional reasons in favour of this application.
- Local and national planning policy call for major developments to be located on brownfield sites before considering greenfield options. The Local Plan has identified a strategic site for 100 homes on a brownfield site within the Parish.
- Traffic and parking are already serious issues in Minchinhampton, which will be made much worse.
- The loss of Minchinhampton's only campsite is contrary to national planning policy to protect leisure and tourism facilities.
- Minchinhampton is not a sustainable location for development because of its poor public transport.
- The additional 150 homes would put an unsustainable burden on the existing infrastructure of Minchinhampton - on its school, surgery, recreational facilities and parking. Any planning development levies would go to Gloucestershire's central funds, with no guarantee that money would be spent in Minchinhampton.
- To build 150 houses on a 20 acre site would be a very low level of housing density and extremely wasteful of Minchinhampton's precious green fields.
- Proposed developers' contributions are either inadequate or not needed:
- Public open spaces - Minchinhampton has no shortage of open space, starting with 600 acres of common.
- Community orchard - there is no evidence of a call for a community orchard or appetite to administer one.
- Land for a doctors' surgery - there is no certainty of NHS funding to build this facility.
- Highway works - proposals to alter the flow of traffic in the centre of Minchinhampton are against the wishes of the town's residents.
FOLLOWING AN OBJECTION BY THE PARISH COUNCIL, THE PROPOSAL WAS WITHDRAWN ON JANUARY 28TH 2016. IT IS LIKELY TO BE REVISED AND RESUBMITTED IN THE FUTURE. SAVE GLEBE FARM WILL REMAIN VIGILANT AND ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF A NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN, TO ENSURE RESIDENTS' VIEWS ARE HEARD.